Basel Gourmet Region
Special dining concepts combine with an exquisite wine region to create a one-of-a-kind culinary experience. From mesmerizing landscapes and cultural highlights to trips of culinary discovery, the northwestern part of Switzerland, which includes Basel, the Basel region, Aargau, and Jura, offers something for all the senses. The unspoiled countryside is particularly attractive for hikers, with paths stretching over 1,000 km to the hidden corners of the Basel region and Jura Mountains.
The landscape features mountains, valleys, orchards, plains, and forests with views of the Alps. The Aargau Jura Park promises a unique experience with its impressive sparse pine forests and orchid slopes. Lush vines climb the slopes of the Aargau, where Silvaner, Pinot Noir, and Riesling are cultivated across 400 ha. Although small, the Basel wine region is home to 30 grape varieties.
The region also boasts a rich culinary scene with fresh farm products, special gourmet tours, and Michelin-starred restaurants. Restaurants in castles, palaces, and villas also promise special dining experiences, and Basel also offers a variety of top locations, from taverns to an organic Bio-Bar. This city on the Rhine also entices visitors with its hip cultural scene, famous architecture, and numerous museums.
- Tasty Basel tradition – the famous “Basler Läckerli”: small, delicious gingerbread bites
- Jura specialties – tasty Tête de Moine cheese, traditionally scraped with a special Girolle cutter to form delicate rosettes
- World-famous pastries – “Rüblitorte”, or carrot cake, originates from Aargau
- Breathtaking ridges – awe-inspiring waterfalls are the starting point for alpine hikes and culinary forays through the Jura Mountain guest houses
- Unique Roman festival – gladiator fights, Roman games, and a Roman market in the Roman town of Augusta Raurica in Kaiseraugst transport guests back in time
- The world’s most important art fair – the Art Basel has been attracting art enthusiasts to the city since 1970
- Red Grape Variety – Pinot Noir
- White Grape Varities – Riesling X Silvaner, Gutedel, Pinot Gris, Kerner, Sauvignon blanc
Phone: +41 61 2686868
info [at] basel [dot] com